Salt Spring Island Housing Council
The Housing Council formed in 2011 following many years of community conversations and research about affordable housing on Salt Spring Island. The Housing Needs Assessment (2008) provided a clear picture of the needs along the housing continuum. The CRD, Islands Trust, SSI Foundation and Real Estate Foundation of BC supported the development of an affordable housing strategy (CAHS) in 2010-2011. The SSI Foundation’s community needs survey also found affordable housing to be a top priority (2012).
The purpose of the Housing Council is to coordinate the implementation of the Community Affordable Housing Strategy (CAHS) in order to facilitate the creation of more affordable housing on Salt Spring Island.
The Housing Council can support local affordable housing initiatives by taking action to:
- Work with stakeholders to encourage and facilitate the development of affordable housing
- Facilitate partnerships with individuals, organizations and funders
- Monitor housing need with updates to CAHS and Housing Needs Assessments
- Build housing development and management capacity in the non-profit sector
- Develop and implement a community education and engagement process
- Assist housing providers in funding initiatives for capital and operating funding
- Provide advice to representatives of local, regional and provincial government agencies
Contact the Salt Spring Housing Council at email@example.com